Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

What is the stability system - olds aurora 2001?

Customer Question

what is the stability system - olds aurora 2001?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Hello, below is a very detailed explantion of the traction control as well as stabilty. Down towrds bottom it speaks of stability. the system uses varios sensors to help control the ride of the vehicle on high speed tuen, aggressive driving, bumps and hard ,slipping braking. Normally you are ok to drive vehicel if brake pedal feeels normal and car stops ok. Your ABS ( antilock brakes) will most likely be disabled, As long as you know this. In order to locate the problem, a full scan of the computer is needed to get a trouble code or more to zero in on the problem. It could be a wheel speed sensor, steering sensor, computer, hydrolic unit or more. As far as fluid, the omly fluid that would directly affect the ABS or stability would be the brake fluid. If you check and its low, I do suggest a shop before the trip. As you can see from below it is impossible to give you the problem answer. I can only educate as to what the light means

Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES)
The Vehicle Stability Enhancement System (VSES) includes an additional level of vehicle control to the EBCM. The VSES is activated by the EBCM calculating the desired yaw rate and comparing it to the actual yaw rate input. The desired yaw rate is calculated from measured steering wheel position, vehicle speed, and lateral acceleration. The difference between the desired yaw rate and actual yaw rate is the yaw rate error, which is a measurement of oversteer or understeer. If the yaw rate error becomes too large, the EBCM will attempt to correct the vehicle's yaw motion by applying differential braking to the left or right front wheel.
The VSES activations generally occur during aggressive driving, in the turns or bumpy roads without much use of the accelerator pedal. When braking during VSES activation, the brake pedal will feel different than the ABS pedal pulsation. The brake pedal pulsates at a higher frequency during VSES activation.

Brake System Indicator(s)
BRAKE
The IPC illuminates the BRAKE indicator when any of the following occur:

• The IPC detects that the park brake is engaged (signal circuit is low). If the vehicle travels 3 - 15.2 meters (10 - 50 feet) with the park brake engaged, the IPC sends a class 2 message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.
  • The IPC detects a low brake fluid condition (signal circuit is low). The IPC sends a class 2 message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.

The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) detects a failure in the braking system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.
The IPC performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 5 seconds.
The IPC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the EBCM and the discrete back-up ABS indicator signal circuit is high.

LOW BRAKE FLUID-14
The DIC displays the LOW BRAKE FLUID- 14 message when the IPC detects a low brake fluid condition (signal circuit is low). The DIC receives a class 2 message from the IPC requesting illumination.

PARK BRAKE SET-20
The DIC displays the PARK BRAKE SET- 20 message when the IPC detects that the park brake is engaged (signal is low) with the vehicle in Park or Neutral.

ABS Indicator(s)
The IPC illuminates the ABS indicator when the following occurs:

• The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) detects a malfunction with the antilock brake system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.
  • The IPC performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 5 seconds.
  • The IPC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the EBCM and the discrete back-up ABS indicator signal circuit is high.

When the ABS indicator is commanded on, the IPC also illuminates the TRAC OFF indicator and illuminates the SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM indicator in the DIC.

Traction Control System Indicator(s)
TRAC OFF
The IPC illuminates the TRAC OFF indicator when any of the following occur:

• The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) inhibits the traction control system due to a malfunction in the traction control system. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.
  • The IPM detects that the traction control switch is pressed. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the IPM requesting illumination.
  • The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination of the ABS indicator.
  • The IPC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the EBCM, and the discrete back-up ABS signal circuit is high.
  • The IPC performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator is illuminated for approximately 5 seconds.

TRAC ON
The IPC illuminates the TRAC ON indicator when any of the following occur:

• The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) detects a traction control event. The IPC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.

Stability System Indicators
SERV STABILITY SYS-26
The DIC displays the SERV STABILITY SYS - 26 message when any of the following occur:

• The EBCM determines a fault in the stability system. The DIC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination. The IPC sends a class 2 message to the radio in order to activate an audible warning.
  • The DIC detects a loss of class 2 communications with the EBCM.

STABILITY ACTIVE-42
The DIC displays the STABILITY ACTIVE-42 message when the EBCM detects a stability system event. The DIC receives a class 2 message from the EBCM requesting illumination.