Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 Rodeo: I test it and change it out?

2001 Rodeo Sport...My fuel gauge sending unit is not working. How do I test it and change it out?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

The fuel level sensor is part of the fuel pump so the tank will need to be removed to change it. Its really not too bad of a job just make sure the tank is close to empty when you go to remove it to make it easier. Once you remove the fuel level sensor you can take a ohm meter and check the resistance on the two wires going to it while moving it, if the resistance doesnt chance as it moves then it needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

graphic

Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
The fuel level sender will be at 80 ohms with a full tank and 290 ohms with a empty tank and it should slowly decreae/increase as you move it from one point to the other. Let me know if you need anything, thanks.