jagmaster
jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Jaguar Master, Land Rover Master, Aston Martin certified

2003 HSE Range Rover- The ignition switch..ticking noise..dealership

Customer Question

2003 HSE Range Rover- The ignition switch won't turn. Its locked and there's a ticking noise everytime I put the key in the ignition. I called the dealership and they said it may be the battery. I replaced the battery and it still won't start. I can't turn the key. What is it?? Why can't I turn it?
Category: Car
Expert:  jagmaster replied 4 years ago.
There is a key lock soliniod, that is preventing you from rotasting the key. If you are hearing it click, than that would indicate that the mechanism has stuck, and probably will need to be replaced. The click is the solinoid trying to disengage. From what you descibe, its trying to disconnect, but isnt.+
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I buy this silonoid or do I buy an entire new ignition switch?
Expert:  jagmaster replied 4 years ago.
You'll need to buy a new ignition switch. If you but one from a dealer, it will be precut to your key, and you'll have matching keys.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did some additional research...here's what i found...do you think this may be the problem or should I just get a new ignition switch??? Please read below.

I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE. About 6 weeks, I started experiencing a problem when I place the key in the ignition. I cannot turn the key once it''s in the ignition to start my truck. I just hear alot of clicking noise that is coming from the steering column.

Submitted: 472 days and 1 hours ago. Category: Car Value: $9 Status: CLOSED -Show Less

Optional Information

Optional Information:
2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE

Already Tried:
Replacement the ignition cylinder

Accepted Answer

Hi there, Your Range Rover is in super lock down. Your security computer is not communicating with your engine computer. James Bond and Magiver together could not steal this vehicle. Only with dealer scan tool can this issue be solved.

Picture
Expert: Clayso
Pos. Feedback: 100.0 %
Accepts:

30 years experience full service, all makes and models. I fix cars.

472 days ago.

Reply

Reply to Clay's Post: The dealer has do a diagnostic test on the truck and the code state that it was ignition cylinder. I really do not understand what you mean when you say the security computer is not commnunicating with my engine computer.

Posted by Clayso 472 days ago.

Answer

Here's the description of how the immobilization system
works. I suspect from the description you've given that
there might be some corrosion at a connector around the
shifter. Funny what coke and coffee will do.

Immobilisation System When the vehicle is unlocked, with
the driver's door lock or the remote handset, the BCU
outputs a 'vehicle unlocked' message on the K bus. The K
bus message wakes the immobilisation ECU which energises
the transponder coil around the ignition switch. When the
ignition key is close to, or inserted into, the ignition
switch, the immobilisation ECU reads the identity of the
transponder. If the transponder/ignition key is valid, the
immobilisation ECU outputs a 'valid key in ignition lock'
message on the K bus.

When it detects the valid key in ignition lock message, the
steering lock ECU disengages the steering column lock.
After disengaging the steering lock, provided it is also
receiving a Park/Neutral signal from the Electronic
Automatic Transmission (EAT) ECU, the steering lock ECU
sends a release signal to the immobilisation ECU. When the
ignition switch is turned from position 0 to position I,
the immobilisation ECU interrogates the transponder for the
password XXXXX rolling code. If these are correct the
immobilisation ECU sends the coded release signal to the
ECM and, when the ignition switch turns to position III,
energises the starter solenoid to crank the engine. The
immobilisation ECU also writes a new rolling code to the
transponder and verifies it to ensure it has been correctly
received.

On petrol models, the immobilisation ECU energises the
starter solenoid via the starter motor relay. The starter
motor relay is controlled by the ECM to provide the comfort
starting function, which allows the engine to be started by
a momentary crank (position III) selection on the ignition
switch. When the ignition switch turns to position III, the
ECM energises the starter motor relay, which energises the
starter solenoid, until engine speed exceeds approximately
500 rev/min, or for 20 seconds, whichever occurs first.

If the vehicle is unlocked and the ignition key is not put
into the ignition switch, the immobilisation ECU
de-energises the transponder coil and goes back into the
sleep mode after approximately 60 seconds. When the
ignition key is subsequently put into the ignition switch
and turned through 10° to 20°, the steering lock senses the
movement and sends a 'request electronic vehicle
immobiliser status' message on the K bus. The message wakes
the immobilisation ECU, which energises the transponder
coil and commences the transponder/ignition key
identification and engine mobilisation process as detailed
above

Expert:  jagmaster replied 4 years ago.
Well, here's the kicker. The steering wheel, and igntion lock are unlocking, so it can't be the immobilisation. There is actually nothing called super locked down. You'll have to have the lock initialised by a dealer anyways, so it's somewhat a moot point. It might be worth the hour of labor to verify the diagnosis, but if the column is unlocking, and your hearing the solinoid click at the ignition, it should be turning.