Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance Certified.
18805678

I lost the power steering on my 2003 Mini Cooper. I was driving

I lost the power steering on my 2003 Mini Cooper. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden, no more power steering. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
Is the belt still on? Does it make any noise? any lights on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No noise, no lightd and I don't think there is a power steering belt. I think it has some kind of electric power steering pump.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 7 years ago.
You are right I was confusing this with another model....Let me get another expert to help that knows more about this than I do....hang on.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

This system uses an electric powersteering pump which is notorious for failing. Keep in mind that often times the pump fails due to overheating. There is a small cooling fan located directly under the electric powersteering pump that should run whenever the radiator fan comes on. I always recommend replacement of the fan when the pump is replaced.

Here is the electrical troubleshooting procedure if you are interested to verify the pump is bad. The wires are somewhat difficult to get to, but it's about a 1200.00 dollar repair and If it were me, I'd wanna know for sure that was the problem. But it's a 90% chance it's the pump. Super high failure rate, super common problem.

1. At the 2-pin connector on the Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering (EHPS) pump unit, check that the Red wire has constant battery voltage from fuse FL4 and that the Brown wire is a good ground. (these are large wires located above the pump)

2. At the 3-pin connector on the EHPS, the Green/White wire should have ignition-on battery voltage from fuse F39, and the Yellow wire should have battery voltage from the D+ circuit on the alternator with the engine running. The third wire, Violet/White, is the diagnostic wire from the EHPS to the car's diagnostic connector. (these are small wires)

3. If the three power inputs and the ground are good, and the pump does not operate, it is bad and has to be replaced.

thanks and let me know if you need anything else. I just did one of these 2 days ago so I am very familiar.

one more thing, be sure to use the special power steering fluid available from the dealer. It shouldn't use much, but regular powersteering fluid or trans fluid will destroy the pump in a hurry.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. I checked all the power and grounds and they are all good, so I'll replace the pump. I also tried to power the fan on the bench and it is also no good.

Thank you very much

Expert:  Auto Go replied 7 years ago.
your welcome. Please don't forget to accept my answer!
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance Certified.