Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience ,ASE Master Certified Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant

2001 Mitsubishi Galant: headlights..unlock..doors or take one..cables

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant LE, v6 engine. The headlights on my car start to flash by themselves and it kills the battery everytime. I have to unlock and then lock the doors or take one of the cables off the battery to prevent it from the battery dying. Where is this issue coming from and how much would it cost to fix?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
The problem you are describing sounds like a oversensitive switch in one of the door handles or hood switch. You'll need to check each handle or hood to see which one is oversensitive by barley moving them to see which one is causing it to act up. As for the cost to repair I suspect you could be looking at 100-200 hundred dollars if its one of the door handle switches.
I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi Steve,

I tried to do what you said but nothing happened. The headlights randomly start flashing whether I am driving or it's parked. I had all the fuses checked. I use the keyless entry to stop the lights from flashing and sometimes that doesn't stop the flashing.