FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

clicking noise under the steering wheel and i dont know what it is

Customer Question

Hi, my name isXXXXX and I have a 1998 Aurora.I been having my car for less than a year and I recently been having a little problem with it.The problem is that I've been hearing a clicking noise under the steering wheel and I dont know what it is
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Hello nike13 2007, when do you typically hear this noise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I hear the noise everytime the car is turned on or off.When the noise sounds the lights flash.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Does this happen only one time when the vehicle is first turned on and turned off?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No not really it happens all the time even if the car is turned off.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Do all of the exterior lights flash or just the headlamps?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sometimes the dashboard lights
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Okay. The problem is either going to be in the lamp control module or the body control module. Both of these provide power to different lighting systems. You will need to locate both in the diagram below and see which one is making noise.

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmm well I have already located the light control module but I dont know where the body control module is at.Can you please show me in a diagram or picture to where that is located at.THANK YOU!
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
This is located under the drivers side of the dash.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok but to the left side of the steering wheel or to the right side?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
It is on the left side of the steering wheel behind the lamp module.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
mmm well I have only seen the lamp module because thats the one I;ve been disconnecting everyday so it wont kill my battery.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
The bcm should be on the other side of the mounting bracket that the lamp module mounts to.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
mmm I really havent seen that module
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Take another look behind it to see if it is there. If not let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so you've said is behing the lamp module right but what if I have the lamp module hanging down?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Look at the metal bracket that the module normally mounts to. The BCM should be on this mount also between the mount and the door side.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I found the bcm and the clicking comes out of the lcm.
Expert:  FixItMan replied 4 years ago.
Okay, and you have already changed the LCM, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes but i got it from a junk yard and with this one it does the same thing but the panel lights wont turn on.