Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

2000 Infinity: first 20 starts to run rough..runs normal

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Infinity, G20. Sometimes during the first 20 minutes after starting the car it starts to run rough. If I turn off the engine and turn it back on, it runs normal
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
HI there! does the check engine light come on when it is running rough?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I have only had the car a few months. The light came on for a brief period when I first purchased the car. It does not come on anymore. when the car runs rough and I turn the engine of and back on, it normally runs ok after that
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK, i hate to say it but you are going to need a scan tool that can provide active data to find this problem. When you turn the engine off you are resetting the O2 sensors and possibly the throttle. You need to be able to see what data is going into the ecm when it is running rough and what changes after you restart that is allowing the car to function normally.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
when I press the gas throttle, sometimes it is a little hard to press then it gives. could this be part of the problem
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
I don't believe so, it is still cable operated on this model year and not electronic.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can i get this scan done at Autozone
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunatly you cannot. They only have code readers, not scan tools. You are going to need a scanner that provides data. In this instance you will likely have to pay to have the car diagnosed, then determine if the repair is something you can do ytourself to save money.