Auto Surgeon
Auto Surgeon, Master Technician
Experience:  Specializing in Foreign and Domestic,Electronic Computer Controls,Major Engine Repair and Machining

2003 lincoln aviator: jerks when i put it in reverse.. any thing

My 2003 lincoln aviator jerks when i put it in reverse.. any thing i can do to fix it.?
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto Surgeon replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. The first thing i would check is the transmission fluid. You want to check the fluid when the vehicle is level, and warm. Be sure the level is ok, and also beware of the color of fluid, as well as a funny burnt smell. Please get back to me and let me know what you find. Thanks again Your AUTO SURGEON
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
on this model there is no dip stick to check the transmission fluid level. This just happened today. I goes foward fine idles fine. doesnt seem to misfire. had the idler puller replaced last month if that helps. shifts through all the gears fine.. it only jerks when i put the vehical in reverse and idle back. but once i give it gas its fine..

Your right, I'm very sorry not sure what i was thinking. Sounds like to me the universal joints might be getting dry and may need some grease. Factory universal joints arn't serviable, but you can get a grease needle injector from your local auto parts store. After you shoot some grease into the boots of the joints, try and move them with your hand and see if they have excessive movment, if they dont the grease should do the trick. Thanks again and if you have anymore question, feel free to ask.