FixItMan, Master Technician

How do you Replace a Crankshaft Postion Sensor on a 2004 Kia

Customer Question

How do you Replace a Crankshaft Postion Sensor on a 2004 Kia Sorento 3.5 Liter V6? Step By Step Instructions Preferred.
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer in order to access this sensor you must remove the timing belt cover. To do this follow the instructions and diagrams below. Let me know if you need more help.
  1. Using a [16 mm], rotate the tensioner arm clockwise (about 14° ) and remove the belt from the pulley.
  2. Remove the power steering pump pulley, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and crankshaft pulley.
  3. Remove the upper and lower timing belt covers.
  4. graphic
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am bit confused by the schematics. Where is the Crankshaft sensor in those schematics? I seem the cam, but no crank

Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 years ago.
It is located as shwon below just above the crankshaft.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My wife's Kia has about 104,000 on it. Would you recommend replacing the timing belt as well? What is the process for that if you do?
Expert:  FixItMan replied 6 years ago.
If it has not been done then I would change it. Once the timing covers are removed and you have access to the timing belt it is fairly simple to change. If you do this then make sure you replace the tensioner for the belt and the water pump at the same time. Just be sure to align the timing marks before removing the belt and make sure that the pullies do not move during the install.