SUPRYZE
SUPRYZE, Technician/Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM & Saab Certified, ASE Master Technician
6758627

2001 saab: 5 turbo v6... i..starting my..wouldnt..crank

Customer Question

i drive a 2001 saab 9-5 turbo v6... i continually am having problems with starting my car, i live in very warm temp. (Florida) so i wouldnt think its a eather thing. my car seems to turn over fine when i crank the engine to start but nothing, it just keeps turning over bu tno start. i took it tomy local autozone to have them check it with there machine and it kept referring to the OEM Number To Cross:P1251... ive been looking vereywhere online tryint o figure out what this means and ive gotten nowhere... please help!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 7 years ago.
Hello! In what way did you adjust the "choke"? Have you had any other work done prior to this? Will the car start if you press on the accelerator pedal some?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sometimes if i push the gas it starts right up, but other times i dont even have to do anything and itll start... almost as if it starts when it wants to not when i need it to.
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 7 years ago.

OK, that helps. P1251 is a throttle body error code. When the fault is present, its causing the car to not start correctly (which is why you need to give it a little gas to get it going).

When I see this code, the throttle body is usually in "limp home" mode. I reset it and clear the fault codes, but it usually comes back anyway and getting a throttle body. This part is a little pricey, which is why I always try resetting it before selling it.

Resetting it is a little tricky to do, especially if you are not familiar with the throttle body or the procedure, so I would reccomend finding a Saab dealer, or a Saab specialty shop in your area. Most people don't like going to the dealer, which is understandable, so you can visit www.saabshops.com and locate an independant shop that specializes in Saabs to took at it for you.

Wether the throttle gets reset or replaced, the codes MUST be cleared BEFORE the repair and must stay cleared, otherwise the next key cycle will put it right back in Limp Home Mode.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask, I will be happy to helps.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is the throttle body and how would i reset it? and how do i clear the codes, and how do i know when it is cleared?
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 7 years ago.

These procedures should really be done by a person familiar with Saab vehicles, but if you want to give it a try, here is the procedure to replace (towards the end of the article shows about resetting limp home mode if your not replacing it).

http://www.thesaabsite.com/95/95Throttlebodyreplacement.htm

Please note this procedure is for a 4-cylinder, but your 6 cylinder will be similar.

You need a scantool or at least an OBD II code reader to clear codes and know if they have been cleared.

Edited by SUPRYZE on 11/2/2009 at 7:31 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
imma have it checked out in the morning... thanks for your help.