Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  California smog licensed, ASE ceritied in L1, A6, A8 for over 30 years professionally
25319281

3251 bmw: i want to get my car smoged will it pass with this light on

Customer Question

i have a 3251 bmw the service engion light is on what is the most common problem that causes this and if i want to get my car smoged will it pass with this light on
Category: Car
Expert:  Jim replied 7 years ago.
If the service engine soon light is on it will not pass a smog inspection, what state do you live in? There are many reasons that the light can be on. How long has the light been on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I LIVE IN CA, THE LIGHT WENT ON WHEN THE SERVICE LIGHT WENT ON AT MY SCHEDULED OIL CHANGE. I HAVE 118,000 MILES AND HAVE SERVICED THE CAR WITH ALL OF ITS SCHEDULED SERVICE AT MY LOCAL BMW DEALER. THEY SAID I WOULD HAVE TO PAY $165 TO HAVE THEN DIGONOISE WHAT IT COULD BE
Expert:  Jim replied 7 years ago.
Check your registration and see if you are directed to a Test Only Center or Gold Shield station for your smog inspection. If you are the State will pay up to $500.00 to repair any smog that fails its inspection. Good deal. If you are not directed to a test only or goldshield then find the cheapest smog shop and have your car smogged. The inspection report will show the area that is causing the service engine soon light to be on. Hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IN YOUR EXPERTICE IF A CAR HAVE BE MAINTAINED AND THIS LIGHTS COMES ON WHAT IS THE MOST COMMEN ISSUES WITH A 3251 BMW
Expert:  Jim replied 7 years ago.
Just leaving the gas cap loose can cause this problem. Oxygen sensors start wearing out at about 100,000 miles from just normal wear. These are common problems. All the sensors on the vehicle will start showing signs of wear at 100,000 miles. About 70% of the time the light comes on from at faulty sensor. Durning a smog inspection the mechanic might find something that has come loose, or vacuum line that has come off that could be the result of the light. The test also checks to make sure the gas cap is sealing properly.