Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

2004 mazda tribute: 6cyl 2wd . it sputters..going down

i have a 2004 mazda tribute. 6cyl 2wd . it sputters sometimes when i am at a light stopped or sometimes going down the road lightly idleing. when i put a completefuel system cleaner in it it with a full tank of gas it will stop but return after i run through that tank of gas. what is the cause?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,how are you?From what you are describing,it sounds like you are in in need of a fuel filter change,as it is becoming blocked,if you have not all ready had this done.Also it might be a good idea to change fuel stores for a while,just in case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
already tried other fuel stores. where is the fuel filter located?
The fuel filter is located under the vehicle near the fuel tank. 2.Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
3.Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable
Fuel line to the fuel filter

4.Loosen the clamp and remove the filter

To install:

1.Install or connect the following:

New clips to the fuel lines
Fuel filter and tighten the clamp
Fuel lines to the fuel filter
Negative battery cable

2.Start the vehicle and check for leaks, repair if necessary.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 11/2/2009 at 2:31 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX more question. today i was sitting inside my tribute parked outside a building. the radio started going on and off and the air started blowing hot. i turned it off and then tried to turn it back on and all it did was click like the battery was dead. i got it jumped and it worked fine until i got home and turned it off. same thing happened where i had to get it jumped off. i took it around the block with everything on,(a/c on max, radio) about half way around the tribute started to die out on me and eventually did. i got it jumped again and without running the a/c it seamed ok. I got it home and have started it 4 times since i got home around 4 hours ago and it has cranked up everytime with no problam. could the battery be going dead? the battery was installed back in march of this year but thats not to say it doesnt have a defect of some sort.
Yes it is very possible that the battery is defective,but also the alternator could have a short as well,you can take the vehicle to a local auto parts store and they will test both for free.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you have been a great help mike. thanks for answering my questions.
No problem,thank you and good luck.
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.