scottyz, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE tech, Ford senior master tech

1996 lincoln continental: conversion..strut..spring assembly..steering

I just purchased a subscription for a 1996 lincoln continetal so I can do a number of repairs. The first one is an air suspension conversion. My question is: I do not seem to be able to work the bottom of the new strut/spring assembly into the steering knuckle. I have disconnected the sway link and the tie rod end. Is there more to remove?
Submitted: 6 years ago via Mitchell1DIY.
Category: Car
Expert:  scottyz replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

You will need to seperate the lower ball joint in order to get strut out of the knuckle.This will allow ample room to drop knuckle off strut to get the m disconnected.

1. Disconnect air suspension height sensor (5359) from lower height sensor ball stud and position out of the way.

1. Exhaust air from air spring. Remove solenoid valve as outlined.

1. CAUTION: Do not allow the halfshaft to move outboard. Over-extension of the tripod front wheel drive joint could result in separation of internal parts, causing failure of the joint.

NOTE: Do not use a hammer to separate ball joint from front suspension lower arm (3078). Use extreme care not to damage boot seal.

Remove and discard front suspension arm-to-ball joint nut. Using Tie Rod End Remover TOOL-3290-D or equivalent, separate ball joint from front suspension lower arm.

1. Remove front spring and shock-to-front wheel knuckle pinch bolt and nut. Using a large screwdriver, slightly spread knuckle-to-front spring and shock pinch joint, if required, for removal.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the timely response. I have already removed the old air bag/strut assembly. Since it was deflated, I was able to push it up and out. The new conversion has a coil spring instead of an air bag and can't be depressed enough to work it in, so to be clear, If I disconnect the lower ball joint I will have enough play to get this new assembly in?

I think there has been some confusion about my question. I was not asking about how to remove the old air strut, I need advice on installing an after market conversion strut.

Expert:  scottyz replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you will need to remove the knuckle by seperating the lower ball joint from the control arm.