Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

I have a 1992 Isuzu Trooper that I have owned for about 3 years.

I have a 1992 Isuzu Trooper that I have owned for about 3 years. I love the vehicle and have recently moved to Colorado Springs (6,000 feet elevation) from Boise. Historically the vehicle would start up immediately about 25% of the time, the other 75% of the time I had to keep my key cranked for about 2-3 seconds with the gas pedal to the floor before ignition. It never really bothered me, so I didn’t do anything about it. Now that I am in Colorado the vehicle won’t start 75% of the time, no matter how long I crank. It may occasionally sputter for a second, but then immediately dies. If it is the rare 25% of the time when it starts immediately there are no problems and the vehicle runs just fine. After turning the vehicle off and then immediately trying to restart the engine, it won’t start at all. I have to let it cool and then maybe (25% chance) it will start. Thoughts?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 7 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you have to have the pedal to the floor to start, then it is flooding out, you need to have the fuel system checked for richness, if that checks good, then suspect the cat converter is plugged,Tim