Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience ,ASE Master Certified Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant

2000 montero sport: went to start again nothing put in new battery

i have a 2000 montero sport i stopped the auto turned it off went to start again nothing put in new battery still nothing
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
When you put your key in and turn to the run position are you getting any of the dash warning lights, or radio? Is this the 3.0 or 3.5 engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is a 3.5 and there are dim lights and a sound like the antenna going up or down
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like your experiencing a voltage drop on one of your battery cables. You'll need to have a volt meter, preferably a digital one, to run voltage drop test. A voltage drop is basically when there is too much resistance in the cable or wire, it looses a good portion of that with the resistance. With low voltage, lights will be dim, and relays and such may make noise. This page will give you step by step instructions how to test for a voltage drop.
I would especially check around the battery cable ends, look for any corrosion around the wires.
I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cleaned corrosion off battery terminals jumped battery car started shut it off and wouldnt start had bright dash lights but when turned key all it did was klick
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Still sound like your experiencing a voltage drop to the starter. Verify battery voltage is 12.6 volts or greater.Also check the voltage when you have someone else try to crank it, check it at the positive battery post and then the cable end, and then the battery positive terminal at the starter. This voltage should not drop below 10.8 volts while under load. I still suspect your loosing it somewhere around the battery connections themselves. The fact that it jumpstarted tells me your starter should be good. If the battery cable ends have been replaced with a replacement end or the cable or wires bolt the the cable end, make sure to remove and clean these connections. They may look fine, but are usually the culprit. I hope this helps.