importdoctor
importdoctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years experience

2002 mazda protege: the cars runs..cuts..start back..cools

Customer Question

i have a 2002 mazda protage the cars runs for a 5 mins then cuts off trys to start back up but wont until it cools off then does the same thing over and over. i did a complete tune up still does sAME THING. codes r po171 and po340 can this be the problem please help
Category: Car
Expert:  importdoctor replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

How many miles are on this car and when was the timing belt last serviced?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
motor was replaced miliage over 200000 not sure of milage on used motor. codes are saying cam sensor leaN AIR/FUEL RATIO BANK 1
The mass air flow sensor is part of the input for the p0340 code. If a wire was not damaged when the engine was replaced then what you are most likely dealing with here is a damaged crank or cam position sensor, the timing belt should also be checked for condition and proper position here, it is most likely not doing this for the first 5 minutes because the car does not enter closed loop operation until warmed up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CAN YOU SIMPLIFY THE ANSWER. THE CAM SENSOR CAN SHUT THE CAR OFF ONCE ITS WARM?
Simplified answer here is that your car is losing signal from the camshaft position sensor or the crankshaft position sensor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THE CODE SAYS CAM SENSOR YOUR THINKING THAT OR CRANK SENSOR. IF THE CRANK SENSORS BAD IT COULD TRIGGER CAM SENSOR CODE? SO WHICH ONE DO I REPLACE? WHERE DO I START AND FINISH? CAN U SEND ME DIAGRAMS OF BOTH SO I NO WHERE THEY ARE AND HOW LONG IT TAKES. THANKS PETER SORRY FOR BEING A PAIN.

Youre not a pain just a little confused I think.

The cam and crank sensors run in corelation to signal the computer for spark and fuel delivery. A code for a sensor circuit does not mean "replace part", that is a common misconception by many customers that think technicians plug in a scan tool and read codes to tell them what to replace, not all repiars and problems involve replacing a part, the code only tells you what "system" is acting up to narrow down which items to do hands on inspections to. Yes you cna just pop a couple sensors in the car but there is only a 50/50 chance that will fix it, the car needs to be properly inspected hands on by a qualified and equipped technician with the needed special tools to diagnose and repair this issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK

have a good evening

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NOT SATISFIED. I COULD HAVE TAKEN CAR TO SHOP FOR ANSWER
You asked and I answered, I am sorry if you are not satisfied but this is not a crystal ball situation, I gave you the simplified answer you asked for after a technical answer. Good luck to you sir.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Get advice from a different tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I want to ask a different expert