Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

2003 Hyundai Elantra: 95,000 miles on it..speeds..shake..accelerating

I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra with 95,000 miles on it. After reaching speeds of around 45 miles/hour and above the car begins to shake...but only while accelerating. The shaking subsides the second I lay off the gas. It seems to be coming from the passenger side. What could cause this problem?
Hello, you need to check an item. Jack up the passenger side of the vehicle. leave tire on. grab the tire at 9 and 3 oclock position. Try to wiggle the tire back/forth with steering wheel locked. See if you get any play. If so, you most likely have a bad outer tie rod end. if it seems tight, then you are most likely looking at a bad or tight CV joint requiring replacing the axle shaft on that side. This is quite common. You can buy remn axles very cheap and trade yours in. Replace takes about 1.5 hours and not too difficult. All signs lead to tie rod end or axle shaft
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK thanks I will check that.

One more thing before I there anything else like spare plugs/wires or a transmission problem that could cause this? Or is that unlikely...
If the engine feels like running ok, not missing running smooth when this happens, it would be drivetrain related like th tie end or axle. not likely a trans at all doing that. Now, ... if while accelerating you lose some power and the shake is the engine missing, like running on 3 cylinders, these engines had a problem with the igntion coils. you then do coils and plug wires. If you can not poist to the problem being the way engine is running, then the problem is most likely one of the items I mentioned.