Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience ,ASE Master Certified Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant

ford: replaced battery..keys..jumped the starter,motor cranks

04 ford explorer.Cant get it started sometimes,replaced battery,switched keys back and fourth,sometimes work.I have jumped the starter,motor cranks but will not start.What could be causing this problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
Does the engine crank with the key? Is the light on top of the dash flashing rapidly with the key on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
dose not crank.Light dose not flash,stays on
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
If the engine will not crank with the key, but cranks but does not start when going directly to the starter, I suspect a security related issue. When the security system senses a issue it shuts down the starter and fuel injectors. Typically when this happens the light on the dash will flash rapidly for about a minute, then pause, the flash out a two digit code several times and then just stay on steady. Try turning the key on without trying to crank the engine and watch the light on the dash. Tell me what happens.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
turned key light just stayed on
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
You'll need to check the PCM for any codes. The PCM grounds the starter relay to activate the starter. If the PCM is not grounding it, there's a reason why. It could be that the PCM is not seeing the vehicle in park. Try putting the vehicle in neutral with the brake on and try to start it there. Tell me what happens.