SUPRYZE, Technician/Shop Foreman
Experience:  GM & Saab Certified, ASE Master Technician

Car running by pushing but does not start without the push..000 miles

Customer Question

2004 9 3 2.0 Linear... immobilization initiated. 5 speed, can get car running by pushing but does not start without the push. Any fix at home? car has less than 50,000 miles on it
Category: Car
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 6 years ago.

Hello! Are you sure that the Immobilizer is responsible? Not only does the Immobilizer disengage the starter (keeping it from cranking), but it also disables the fuel injectors, which would prevent you from push starting it as well. Also, if the immobilizer is active, it usually shows "Incorrect key" or similar in the Saab Information Display (SID).

If its just a matter of it not cranking, but will start if you push the car, then it could be something simple like a failed starter.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The SID says it is the immobilizer and the key will not engage the motor, just the click, click, click when trying to start it and the message on the SID. However, when pushed with the key in and then thrown into gear... no sweat! Runs like a champ. But when you turn it off.... then go to turn it back on..... Repeat, push to start.
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 6 years ago.
"click, click, click" usually indicates low voltage from the battery. Perhaps a bad cell? If the battery voltage is to low, it could be effecting the Immobilizer, causing the message on the SID. If the Immobilizer was preventing the car from starting, it shouldn't even click! Have you had the battery tested?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Husband looked at battery and indicater on top of it showed fully charged. We even kept car running for a while, drove around the neighborhood to ensure charge on battery. But no, have not gone and had battery checked (I am afraid of getting stuck somewhere).
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 6 years ago.

If the battery has a dead cell, it can prevent the car from starting, despite attempts to charge it. I think the key fact in this situation, is that it just goes "click, click, click". The Immobilizer disables the starter (so you should have no "click") and it also disables the injectors, so that if you did push start it, it would still not start.

Because both of these are not true, I suspect the Immobilizer message is due to a low voltage condition.

What can also make this a hard to diagnose situation, is often times batteries with a dead cell will not take a "jump" from another vehicle, but I would try anyway to jump it off with another vehicle and see if you get get the "click click" into actual cranking of the engine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This sounds do-able and makes sense. Thanks so much for your help, we will give it a go. Sure love my little car, would hate to give it up for something so simple.
Expert:  SUPRYZE replied 6 years ago.
I know the feeling! I love my 9-3, best car I ever owned. If you have any addition questions or need further assistance, just reply to this thread and I will be happy to assist!