Auto Surgeon
Auto Surgeon, Master Technician
Experience:  Specializing in Foreign and Domestic,Electronic Computer Controls,Major Engine Repair and Machining
25334764

1992 Mazda 929: engine back..back together..you starting it up

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Mazda 929 V6=3.OL DOHC. i recently had to replace two of the HLA on the right side of the engine. After I put he engine back together it will not run continue to run after you starting it up. First yes it had gas in it over a half tank in fact. Timing is correct and had even been verify by a former mazda machanic. Other item that have been checked or replace are Battery new, bsttery cable in good condition, Dist Cap new,Rotor new,fuel filter new, coil in good condition,Wireset new,Spark Plugs new, Starter rebuild, Fuel Pump checked and is pumping fuel in fact the if you continue to start the car the plugs will become flooded.The ignition in good working order, injector are clean and working. The fuel pump strainer is not clogged or dirty. The engine computer apear to be working correctly.The distributor is not worn and was install correctly. The car will start and cut back off and if you start it again it will floor out. HELP!!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto Surgeon replied 5 years ago.

Hey there, well sounds like you have your hands full. If your certain the timing is correct, I would be checking firing order, possible Idle air control valve, poss. EGR valve stuck open, but really sounds like a timing issue, or firing order issue. hope this helps point you in the direction you need, anny questions feel free to ask. Thanks again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have rechecked the firing order of the spark plugs and they are correct. The Idle air control valve is not listed in my alldata program could it be call something

else or go by another name? You also state the EGR valve may be stuck open

any suggestions on how to get it to work again.

To check the EGR valve, you can use a small flash light and shine it in the small hole, not the vacume supply hole, the hole that bolts to the manifold. You will be able to see light out the other hole. If you havent taken the EGR off yet, you can disconnect the vacume supply line and plug the hose from the engine. Try to start. If no luck continue to take the valve off and use the flash light test. Let me know what you come up with. Good luck

Edited by Auto Surgeon on 11/2/2009 at 11:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello I've remove the EGR valve and perform the flashlight test. The light did not shine through the other side as you stated in your last e-mail. I'm not sure where I should go from here waiting on your advise.
I'm very sorry it took so long to get back, i hope you didn't give up on me. Ok reinstall the EGR valve and this time i want you to leave the vacume port disconnect and plug it with car, or piece of duct tape. Just another note, these engines are very difficult to get the distributor lined up with #1 cylinder. If you put the harmonic balancer on 0, you should be able to pull the distributor cap off and the rotor should be really close to #1 spark plug. Have you ever tried adjusted the distributor? This should give you some good ideas. Please let me know where you at. Thanks again
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I've reinstall the ERG valve and I left the vacuum unplug and plugged the hose. I turn the harmonic balance to zero and check the the rotor. It did not line up with the number one tower but I have been told that the number one tower is off set on the inside of the distributor cap. But if you look inside it is in that area of the number one tower. After I for fill your request I attempt to start the car. It started and cut back off and would not start again if you pull a spark plug it's flooded and the car will not start again. The former Mazda mechanics called me today and inform that in his conversation with some of the mechanics at the dealership it sound like the water temperature sensor if it bad the car will not start all it will do is flood out. Still lost HELP PLEASE.
Yes, they are correct, the temp sensor could fail, and it would send excessive amount of fuel to it. These sensors give the computer data, and if the temp sensor is short to ground, the computer thinks the engine is 10, 20 or even colder temperture, so it tells the injecters to pulse more. The easiest way is to connect to a scanner and look at the data. If you dont have access to one, let me know and i'll walk you through it. Thanks again Your AUTO SURGEON
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have a scanner to connect to the car. Where would I go from here? The sensor that they were referring to was the was water temperature sensor. Is this correct seem off base to me. Waiting for your reply.I replaced the water temperature sensor this after and attempt to chank the car it still did not crank. HELP
I believe there are two different temp sensors, theres a single wire sensor, which reads the tempurture for the dash. There should be another one with two poss. three wires, which goes to the computer. You want the one with multiple wires. Hope this helps you, please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do you have any subjection were this sensor is? There is not a clear incation in the information that I have.

OK, for some reason i cant the picture for you, but its a two wire green connector on the upper coolant housing. Sould be at the front of the intake. Please let me know what you find.

Edited by Auto Surgeon on 11/6/2009 at 1:20 AM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello sorry it took so long to get back to you but I had to work this past weekend and it had been raining here for the past four days. LOL Here where I'm at I have replaced the water temperature sensor in the intake the green one you spoke of in fact the night I asked you about this sensor I had already replaced it the car crank up and cut back off and flood out again. Then I look at my all data computer program and there was another sensor under the pass ager side of the dash board but I got the same result when I tried to crank the car. Also I have moved the distributor as well in fact the last time the car was running I mark the position on the cover Still no luck to get it running. I'm not sure were to go from unless their another sensor bad some where in the car do you have any suggestions? I also was wondering if the mechanics from Madza could have been wong whee he looked at the cams in car. I had to remove the to replace the lashers mark each to replace it like it came out but could this be the problem which way should the dowel pins be pointing on the cams. Still looking. HELP