Mad Mike
Mad Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years experience, all makes and models.

i can not put my car in any gear what is my problem

Category: Car
Expert:  Mad Mike replied 4 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JA.

Myself or one of the other experts will soon be able to assist you with this problem, however there is some information that we are going to need.

Is this a manual or automatic transmission?

Please describe what happens when you attempt to put your car in gear?

The more information you give, the better we will be able to assist you.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the transmssion is automatic, i can move the gear stick but car will not go into gear
Expert:  Mad Mike replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thank you for the information.

The first thing you will need to do is verify if the shifter and the shift cable are intact. You will need to open the hood, and locate on the transmission where the cable engages the shift lever on the transmission. Verify visually that the cable is attached.

If the cable is attached, then you can either have an assistant move the shifter while you watch to see if the shift cable moves the shift lever, or you can do it yourself if you go back and fourth to do both.

If the shift lever is not moving with the cable, then you will need to remove the console and make the same check on the shifter end of the cable to see if the shifter is broken or disconnected from the cable.

If the shifter and the shift lever both are functioniing properly, then you have an internal transmission problem. At that pointr, the transmission would need to be removed from the vehicle and torn down for inspection.

Thanks,

Mad Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years experience, all makes and models.