Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.

98 olds silhouette: take your foot off gas pedal

98 olds silouette van starts then dies when you take your foot off gas pedal
Category: Car
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
I have some questions, please reply in this therad.
1) Is the check engine light ON while the engine is running?
2) Is there any repair history or how has this problem arisen?
3) When you step on the gas pedal, does your engine rev up? Does it run smoothly or it is misfiring?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ck engine light comes on sometimes but sometimes it doesn't or goes off

After you start the car and hold your foot on the gas it runs smoothly even when you rev the engine

no prior history of this happening before

Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Since you Check Engine light sometimes comes On and sometimes it does not, there should be a trouble code that could be retrieved with a scan tool. I have heard that many part stores do it for free. It would be great to know a trouble code # XXXXX order to give you a more specific advice.
Based on the information I have for now, I can assume that you have a problem with IDLE speed.
There are several reason that could cause your engine stalling at idle, they are :
1) A faulty Idle Air Control Valve.
2) A vacuum leak somewhere in the engine.
3) A stuck open Eghaust Gas Recirculation ( EGR) Valve.
Let me know if you need more information.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
once it starts and you hold your foot on the gas pedal and shift int drive and are driving when you take your foot off the gas it dies even when you are at driving speed.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
1) When you hold your foot on the gas pedal, you open the throttle so air can enter into the engine.
2) When you take your foot off the gas pedal, the throttle gets closed so air can't enter into the engine through the throttle.
There is an Idle Air Control Valve that is controlled by the engine control module and this valve is supposed to maintain IDLE speed when the throttle is closed.
If this IAC valve is faulty or there is any problem with its control( wiring), your engine will stall any time the throttle gets closed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would this happen at any speed
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
Yes it could happen at any vehicle speed.
The engine speed ( RPM) and vehicle speed ( MPH) are two different things.
When you step on the gas pedal, actually you control the engine speed ( rev it up) .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but my question is would it go dead driving down the road at any speed and take your foot off the gas pedal would the engine go dead
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
The answer is : Yes, it would.
I was just trying to explain that the engine IDLE speed does not depend on the vehicle speed. If there is a problem with idling, the engine will stall at any speed as well as when it is parked.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Idle control valve is what I ask for?
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 6 years ago.
I can just suppose it is the IAC valve failure, I can't diagnose it 100% correctly via the internet. I have to actually test you vehicle in order to give you a guaranteed diagnosis.
The IAC valve is the most propable reason, but there is always a chance that it could be something else.