Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Montero: altenator..dies..dead battery after only a few miles

Customer Question

02 montero wont charge,battery and altenator test good but truck dies from dead battery after only a few miles of driving?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 7 years ago.
Hi,how are you?I would have the starter tested,even if the starter is cranking the vehicle,it can still be shorting out and killing your battery,since the cable is running directly from starter to battery.I have come across this issue before.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could i start the vehicle then remove the starter lead and see if the discharge still occurs?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would not recommend doing this,there is high voltage there,and it could really injure you,i would suggest removing the starter and then having it tested,thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey Mike, I replaced the starter and the system is still not charging.
Ok,lets move to the alternator wiring harness,look for any burnt or broken wires,also check all fuses in the vehicle,to look for any blown.

Edited by XXXXX XXXXX on 11/1/2009 at 9:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That has all been done.
Ok,since you have confirmed that the wiring is fine and fuses,you are going to need to check the voltage regulator on the vehicle,i could not find a diagram for this but they are generally located on the fire wall under the hood.