Dino
Dino, Technician
Experience:  have lots of general auto exp in all cars over 24 yeas in this profession
10834442

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L V6 belt changed

I finished a timing belt change on a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7L V6. I followed the shop/repair manual to the letter. I had only one problem during the installation. At some point camshaft closest to the firewall rotated approx. 20 degrees counter clockwise. The reapir manual said that if this happens it was ok to rotate the camshaft back into position. Anyway, I replaced the timing belt as specified in the manual and verified that the timing belt alingment marks were correct. After putting everything back together, I started the engine and I am having a tapping noise in the area of the rear camshaft. The tapping does increase with with an increase in RPMs. The engine seems to run fine and there are no check engine light or anything. My neighbor put his scanner on it and it showed nothing. I did a little research and I have seen everything from bent valves to HLA problems. Any suggestions?
hello welcome to the site.
this does sound like a bent valve but to confirm this you will need to do a leak down test.
what this does is apply pressure in the cylinder.you can also do a compression test .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the info I will follow up with these checks.
do you have a leak down gauge ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no I do have a compression gauge.
ok try that and compare the reading. this may not show 100 positive as a leak down but it will give us a better idea .
Dino