1969LSCamaro
1969LSCamaro, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Tech with Advanced Level (L1) - 20 Years Exp. with multiple makes of vehicle
18658490

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage: harness..back seat..fuel gauge..fuel pressure

Customer Question

1997 Mitsubishi Mirage-I cannot locate the fuel pump harness connector in the back seat area. I located the fuel gauge connector. I am trying to relieve the fuel pressure for further repair. According to the diagram on your site this should be on passenger side under back seat. Is it under the glued down factory mat? Where do I disconnect the fuel pump?
Category: Car
Expert:  1969LSCamaro replied 7 years ago.

HELLO,

WHEN YOU REMOVE THE REAR SEAT CUSHION, THERE IS A METAL COVER PLATE SECURED WITH THREE (3) SCREWS OR BOLTS - THE FUEL PUMP AND HARNESS ARE UNDER THE PLATE. THANKS, DAVE.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I removed these bolts and all that is there is the fuel guage.
HOW MANY WIRES ARE ON THE CONNECTOR?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Three small wires into one connector
SORRY ABOUT THE DELAY - WHEN YOU DISCONNECT THE HARNESS, DOES THE FUEL PUMP STILL RUN? THE CAR WILL STILL START UNTIL THE LINES RUN OUT OF FUEL.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When I disconnect what I think is the fuel guage, because I cannot locate the fuel pump harness, yes the fuel pump still runs. I started the car and it ran for approx. 1 hour.

IF THE FUEL PUMP HARNESS IS NOT IN THAT AREA, THERE ARE TWO THINGS YOU CAN DO. THERE MAY BE A SUB-HARNESS CONNECTOR UNDER THE CAR AT THE FUEL TANK, OR THERE SHOULD BE A FUEL PUMP RELAY IN YOUR UNDERHOOD FUSE BOX. THEY STARTED USING THE RELAY IN 97 - HOPEFULLY YOUR VEHICLE HAS IT AND IS NOT USING A LATE-96 SETUP. THE RELAY WILL BE LABELED UNDER THE COVER. THANKS, DAVE. BTW - ONCE THE PUMP IS DISCONNECTED, THE VEHICLE SHOULDN'T RUN ANY LONGER THAN A FEW MINUTES.

Edited by 1969LSCamaro on 11/1/2009 at 5:28 PM EST