Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

Is it possible to put a 1.8L engine in a 1991 Mazda Miata?

Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 6 years ago.

I'm presuming that you want to fit the later 1.8 mazda engine from a later miata / MX5
this shouldn't be a problem as both engines are externally almost identical with regard to engine mounts . gearbox bolt pattern etc.

What you will also have to get from the donor car is the ECU, Airlfow meter and engine wiring loom as the ECU pinout changed over at some point so its probably easier to treat it like a fresh installation.

An alternative route to this would be to fit the 1.8 engine and then get your ECU re-mapped to suit the larger engine, this would be a simpler route in terms of sorting out the electrics but would be slightly more expensive.

I'd speak to a MX 5 specialist like:

who can point you in the direction of the parts you'll need