Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Car has noxious fumes in cockpit

Customer Question

Car has noxious fumes in cockpit
Category: Car
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
You exhaust system may have a leak on the manifold. If its just kinda weak them its probbaly on the pipe or muffler or convertor. Has these area's been inspected
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is not exhaust fumes it is up front coming through the vents. It has a chemical type odor and creates nose and throat irritant.
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
I am going to opt out so another expert may look at this question

Edited by danny on 11/2/2009 at 2:25 PM EST
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
I am not seeing any notes on your issue. Can I ask if it smells like burning exhaust or clutch slipping or break caliper froze up. does it smell like break fluid? what other info can you give me since I am not there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It actually smells like when you first cure a wood stove and the paint fumes burn off. It was heavey at first now it is light and consistant. It does create quite the irritant. No leaks apparent at this time. I'm leaning towards a power steering fluid cause.
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
ok I will go that direction and look up some symptom related troubshooting and be right back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did replace PS line o-ring that is the only leak visible at that time. Drivers side radiator was replaced right before experiencing this problem.
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
why was the radiator replaced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
small pin hole developed had slight odor of antifreeze tech took two days of preasurizing system to detect the problem. Car was not involved in accident.
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
The radiator has chemicals on it that do burn off after a while. these are just things the welders and such leave behind. I sometimes hear feedback after I have changed radiators. I think this will eventually be gone. The only other thing is if you have module burnt up or some sensor. Have you you done a systems check to make sure all of your options and accessories are working?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
everything is working fine this odor and issue is far more than some residule residue burning off, Thought that myself car has had 3K miles to burn off and has not can not drive with top up or windows closed.
Expert:  danny replied 6 years ago.
I am not helping you much but I have really beat the sites I have available down for your issue. I am sorry i have come up short. but I have confidence in the just answer expert team can help so I will opt out so another expert can look at your question. Thanks for all the info you provided this far it will help the other expert out alot.

Edited by danny on 11/3/2009 at 5:25 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank You!