Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

1993 oldsmobile: coolant..hose from the radiator..gaskets..water pump

Customer Question

1993 oldsmobile bravada..leaking coolant like no other...we replaced the hose from the radiator to the water pump...then the gaskets on the water pump...then the water pump itself and its leaking now more than ever and trying to over there something that we missed?
Category: Car
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
THere are several other places the coolant could be coming from, other hoses, intake gaskets, head gaskets, soft plugs, the radiator itself. I can not see it so you will need to trace it down to determine the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
other hoses are fine..checked them...and all the coolant is coming from around the water pump area
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.

Did you clean the old gaskets off when the water pump was replaced?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it came with new ones
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.

Yes, but sometimes some of the old gasket is still stuck on the engine and if you did not clean the old gasket off it would leak there.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the old gaskets were already completely gone..dude that had the truck before me didnt do any up keep

Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
If you are sure of the gaskets the problem must be above the water pump, intake gaskets, head gaskets, or soft/freeze plugs. Any of these could be leaking and running down on the water pump area.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
do the bolts on the water pump need to be torqued on?
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.

There is a torque spec for them but if they are tight they rarely leak. (I do not use a torque wrench on them)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how can i find the torque specs?
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.

30 ft lbs is the torque spec