Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25+ Years Experience ,ASE Master Certified Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant
25011965

Chevy: a 1985 Winnebago motor home this summer..slow..cranking

I purchased a 1985 Winnebago motor home this summer. It is powered by a chevy 454. When starting it, it would act like it had a weak battery - very slow cranking. I replaced the battery and the alternator to no effect. I then replaced the starter. Now it won't start. I get about half a crank and then just clicking. It seems that I am getting power to the starter but not enough to turn the flywheel I had both the battery and alternator retested & they're good. I cleaned all terminal leads and shimmed the starter as directed. Still nothing (just clicks). I'm at my wits end & I'm afraid this may indicate a more serious engine problem. Any ideas out there?
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
Greeting's
The first thing you need to do prove your battery cable's have the ability to carry the load by performing a voltage drop test on both the battery positive and battery negative cable's. There is a step by step process of this located here http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm
If no problem is found after performing these test's , than you'll need to manually turn the engine over to verify the engine physically rotates. To do this you'll need to find a socket that fit's the front crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer bolt. You'll probably need a extension and then a breaker bar. Rotate the engine clockwise one full revolution, this should rule out internal issues. If you are unable to rotate the engine, you may have a hydro lock, a siezed bearing or other mechanical engine issue requiring further diagnoses.
I hope this is helpful.
Steve
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm with you so far, but could you tell me where the crankshaft pulley is located?
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
The crankshaft pulley is the bottom pulley at the front of the engine that the fan belt goes around. Inside the center of that pulley you will find the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on. This is the one you must use to manually rotate the engine.
I hope this helps.
Steve