Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, a 4 cylinder, 2.4 liter. I normally

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata, a 4 cylinder, 2.4 liter. I normally use full synthetic Mobil 1 5-20. Now and then I use Full synthetic Castrol 5-20. My question is regarding the oil filter. Is Hyundai's oil filter provided by the Hyundai dealer the best to use. Sometimes I go to jiffy lube or those places where they do 10 minute oil changes. Are there oil filters any good. Can I use Fram filters. I know the K & N filter and Mobil 1 filters are more than likely more superior and the best. I have approximately 44k miles on the car. Please advise
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 7 years ago.
Hi,how are you?The k&n and mobile 1 fiters are great filters,but i have had great luck with fram,micro guard, puritan,and wix also.The oil that is used is really far more important than the filter,not that the filter is not inportant,just that there is a number of good brand filters.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess my real question is the filter they give you at Jiffy lube. Is it any good, or is it better I buy a better filter such as fram, mobil one, or K & N, etc. My feeling if you are using Synthetic oil you can go longer on oil changes, but I feel the filter should be better than the one they give you at these 10 minute oil changes.
Yes,i would suggest that if you are going to use the 10 minute oil change places,than you should bring your own filter,because they are most likely going to use the cheapest filters on the market.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One final thing, whats the longest one should go between oil changes using full synthetic oil and a better oil filter.
Most of the time it is suggested that you can go 10,000 miles,that in my opion is to long,i always suggest no longer than 8,000.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I nearly forgot, what about Hyundai's oil filter they use at the dealerships. The best or just mediocre. After all, they work on Hyundai's.
In my opion,just mediocre factory filters,nothing special.