Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

Hyundai: mileage does this get, and how has it performed..long haul

Customer Question

Looking at a used Hyundai 01 XG300 w/ only 47,136 miles on it. what kind of mileage does this get, and how has it performed in general and over the long haul for maintenance?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 6 years ago.
Hi,how are you?These vehicles perform fairly well until about 100,000 miles and then problems can occur.The transmissions begin to slip and not engage,the fault resulting in a transmission replacement.Other issues are the ecm begins to go bad,and calls for replacement,these are major and costly repairs to consider when buying these vehicles.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is an 03 Sonata any better, or do all or most Hyundais start to fall apart at 100000 mi?
In my opion,i have to work on them all the time,and i would stay away from hyundai completely.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
But, they look so pretty... :( Is an older Chevy Malibu any better, or should I just look for a Camry? When I googled a reliable used mid-sized sedan, Hyundai Elantra, Malibu and Camry were the suggested makes/models.
Yes they are good looking cars,the camry is the best buy from the list you have,the malibu is a pretty decent car as well,in the long run you would get the most miles with out much repair from the camry,then the malibu.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much XXXXX XXXXX. We bought our last used car with lower miles, and a gorgeous interior, a Chrysler Cirrus. Many, many repair bills. I think you just saved us from repeating the same mistake.
No problem,thank you,and good luck.