Mad Mike
Mad Mike, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years experience, all makes and models.

99 miata: driver side..window motor or fine

The driver side power window on my 99 miata is not working. how do I know if this is because the switch is bad or if it is the window motor or regulator. The passenger window works fine. I removed the switch, but don't know how to test whether one side of the switch is just broken or if it's something in the window apparatus? Is there a way to know this without trying a new switch?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mad Mike replied 7 years ago.

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help with this problem.

The best way to test your window circuit is at the connector for the window motor. You will need to remove the door panel, access the motor, and disconnect the connector.

With a test light, attach to both of the terminals in the connector with the 2 ends of the test light. Turn on the ignition switch and operate the window switch up and then down.

The test light should light up both directions that the switch is pressed. If it does, you need a new window motor. If it does not, you have another problem in the circuit such as the switch.

Hope that this answers your question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I get a test like such as you describe at an auto supply shop?
Expert:  Mad Mike replied 7 years ago.

yes you can, most parts stores sell items such as that. Just a simple, inexpensive 12v test light.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you Mike! I'll give it a try.