JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

98 Oldsmobile Silhouette: van..512 km (or 135,000 miles..head gasket

I have a 98 Oldsmobile Silhouette GLS EXT van - 217,512 KM (or 135,000 miles).
Mechanic suggested a rad flush as there is gunk & evidence of oil floating in the reserve tank. He wasn't sure of the source of the contamination, but sugested the flush and to watch the situation ongoing.
Question: What are the odds its the head gasket? Could it be more likely contamination from the trany fluid cooling part of the radiator - is this common?
I can see spending 500 for a radiator, but I'm not sure abount spending 1500 for a new head gasket for a van that's probably worth 2000.
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing Don't panic yet....good news. The intake manifold gaskets have been well known to leak on the 3.4......After the intake has been removed from the cylinder head, it will be real obvious if the gasket failed. If you have any more questions or need any diagrams, please dont hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If you could, please send diagram. Is this something I could do?

What is approx. cost for a mechanic to do?

Expert:  JHoop replied 7 years ago.
About 7 to 8 hours of labor. Parts are close to 75.00 Lots of work. Got tools> I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE and HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop