jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience

can you take apart an ignition switch to get a piece of a broken

can you take apart an ignition switch to get a piece of a broken key out of it and then put it back together so it works?
hello and good morning ,you can try to blow some compressed air into the lock cylinder and use a paper clip to move the broken piece around while blowing the air into it ,otherwise the lock cylinder has to come out ,then try tapping it on a hard surface to bump it out,when you take one of these apart ,you have to pay really close attention to where the tumblers came out ,then put them back in right,the cap over the tumblers is had to take off without destroying the cap or cap ring at the spot where the key goes in ,I have seen just recently lock cylinders on e-bay with keys and they are not too much there (i was looking for parts for my 92 suzuki swift which a lot of metro parts came up during the search being that there are many parts that are interchangable)...I have had some luck getting broken keys out of clyinders using the above mentioned procedures ...guy