Trouble shooter 1
Trouble shooter 1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  associates degree 9 years warranty
15809332

Saturn: I have a cracked cracked coolant reservoir

Customer Question

Hello. I have a cracked cracked coolant reservoir for my Saturn. Do you have any ideas that I can do until I get it fixed in about a week to week and a half? It doesn't run hot ever and I am able to add fluid to it. The leak at times is very slow and at times very fast. The hoses and clamps are fine and the radiator itself is okay. The engine, even if running for over an hour, runs very cool to the touch. So, it seems okay. Would it help to replace the cap until I get it fixed and find the part at a junkyard or a dealer?
Category: Car
Expert:  Trouble shooter 1 replied 7 years ago.
I t is a pressurized system jb weld may work make sure area is clean and dry before trying to repair make sure it does get inside reservoir only on outside keep coolant passage from becoming blocked
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I locate the leak? I can tell that it's leaking from the area where the tank is, but I can't see it, so it may be on the bottom or the side where I can't get to it.
remove to seal properly
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have to remove the tank?
Service and Repair

Removal

CAUTION: TO AVOID THE DANGER OF BEING BURNED, DO NOT REMOVE THE CAP WHILE THE ENGINE, RADIATOR, AND SURGE TANK ARE STILL HOT. SCALDING FLUID AND STEAM CAN BE BLOWN OUT UNDER PRESSURE.

1. Drain the cooling system by opening the drain valve at the bottom of the radiator. Collect the fluid in a container.
  2. Remove the recovery reservoir cap.

1. Remove recovery reservoir screws. Move washer fluid bottle off to the side.
  2. Disconnect the electrical harness from the low coolant sensor.

1. Remove the clamps from the vent hose and the heater return pipe hose. Disconnect hoses.
  2. Remove recovery reservoir and drain out any remaining fluid.

Installation

IMPORTANT: Check low coolant sensor float by shaking bottle. Float should rattle.

1. Connect electrical harness.
  2. Connect the heater return pipe hose and then the vent hose. Install pipe hose clamp at 3 o'clock position.

1. Position the coolant recovery reservoir and the washer bottle through holes in the body. Install and tighten screws.
  2. Close the radiator drain plug. Fill the cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of Dex-Cool antifreeze and clean water. Fill the coolant bottle to the FULL COLD range.
  3. Run engine until upper radiator hose is hot, then add additional coolant, if needed, to bring the level to the FULL COLD range.

1. Install coolant recovery reservoir cap and check for leaks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Until I get it fixed in another week and a half, would it help to place a new cap to hold the pressure? It's a slow leak and I am able to add fluid as needed. It still runs well, with the engine running cool to the touch even after an hour of driving.
the replacement reservoir will come with new cap but it would nt hurt anything to change it now