NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Drivetrain and Chassis Master, ASE Master Technician

2006 lancer ralliart: a custom turbo kit, and it..exhaust..rev..stall

Customer Question

Hi i drive a 2006 lancer ralliart with a custom turbo kit, and it was rinning fine last week, and when it got cold the battery died so i gave it a boost and the car had a hard time at idle. The engine would shake and white to gray colour smoke would come from the exhaust, and when i go to give it gas nothing would happen it would not rev up and if i let off the car would stall out. please help. Thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 4 years ago.

When your battery died, possible engine programming was lost, this is called KAM.

need some info, what kind of kit was installed, and did it require any programming when first installed?

Also important to know, is did this problem happen right after the battery died, and it was jumped?

Thanks

Nick.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi well the battery died before and when i gave it a jump everything was normal, until this time, and the kit was purchased from road race motorsports, and no programming was needed just installed all piping and ecu was done professional installer. Well when the battery died it was sitting there for a couple of days.

okay great information, let me research the parts,

also, when you step on the accelerator, do you get nothing at all?

not even trying to raise engine speed and missing?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi when i step on the gas alittle my afr gauge goes to the rich side and the rpms goes nowhere and when i let off the stalls out and forgot to mention that the engine shakes too. Thanks.

okay, would like you to do me a favor, remove the intake tube that goes to your throttle body, and see if the throttle body opens when hitting the accelerator pedal, try this key on with engine off and engine running as well.

Also....

Any check engine light on when the vehicle is running?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi ok i will check that when i get home from work on friday cause i got an unexpected call to head out of the city but i will give that a shot asap when i get home. thnaks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi i cant take the tube off the throttle body cause the way this turbo kit is set up, i would have to take everything off to get to it cause it so close and tight together. Also forgot to mention when the car does start it sound like and harley motorcycle when the gas is press down. So what else can i do to help make it work for you. Thanks.
Not exactly familiar with your setup, it is critical to see if the throttle plate is open for your problem. If yours uses a throttle cable, check the cable at the throttle body, or even remove it there and see if the problem still exists, if not, the tube to the trottle body must be removed.
Sorry this is probably not the answer you wanted, but if you are able to remove the tube, we can further diagnos the problem.
Thanks
Nick.