Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

2002 ford escape: sputters..stall..runs warms up ....what

I have a 2002 ford escape,when I start the car when the motor is cold it sputters as if it is going to stall and runs rough until it warms up ....what could this be? thank you......
HI there! Is the check engine light on? Does it come on when this happens?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, the engine light does not come on or stay on....
OK, here is where I would begin. On the top of the throttle body is a part called the IAC. Idle Air Controller. It is a small electrical motor that adjusts when you first start the car and when it is idling.What happens with these is the pintal inside that has to adjust gets covered with carbon and can't move. Take it off and take some carb cleaner and spray it untill all of the carbon comes off. Clean it up real good and also the spot on the throttle where it sits. Then reinstall it and start the car a few times. This should resolve the issue, it did on mine! Here is what it looks like. There is a gasket, but it is rubber so it should be ok.