George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

I am replacing the timing belt on a 2003 Kia Sedona and am

Customer Question

I am replacing the timing belt on a 2003 Kia Sedona and am stuck at removing the portion of the front engine mount through which the timing belt passes.... I have already removed the four long obvious visible bolts that pass through from the front of the bracket into the engine block...still the bracket is quite firmly in place...what am i missing?
Category: Car
Expert:  bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

The directions to jack the motor up to remove.Here are the directions

Click here for download

I hope this answer has been helpful to you! If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

If this answer has been helpful please accept so I can recieve payment. Feedback is very

important to me so please leave accurate feedback for others to see my job performance.

Thank you

Carl

Just Answer Expert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have alldata and have already performed the operations as listed in the forwarded information....I suspect the alldata is incomplete as the bracket is still quite firmly attached, as though there is an addittional fastener outside the four long retaining bolts which have already been removed, i also have loostened the alternator retaining bolts...still no effect...

jmb
Expert:  bamaman39 replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry as this is all the information i have.I will opt out and let another tech help you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks anyway...is there something i must do or will this happen automatically?

jmb
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will try to help you with your question,

There is a 12mm headed bolt above the flat portion of the mount. It is hard to see and is often overlooked on reinstallation. I do not have a good diagram for this bracket but this is why the mount will not come off. Look at the diagram you have on alldata and blow it up as much as you can. You will see five holes for the bracket

graphic

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont see where you are refering to as the flat portion of the mount...

neither the diagram attached to your email nor the ones in alldata show the portion of the mount through which the belt passes....that portion is only shown in the second diagram in alldata just before item three....it is the bracket with the two studs pointing up which insert into the engine mount on the chassis...now there is a bolt behind the serp belt tensioner and behind the alternator which passes through a black forged bracket for the ac compressor which seems to be secured into the bracket i need to remove to get the t-belt off, but for the life of me i cant see it is removed without removal of the alternator and or compressor at least...neither of which is mentioned in alldata....

thoughts? suggestions?

jmb
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The flat part of the mount is where the rubber snubber attaches from the body, it fits over the studs and sits on the flat part of the mount. I am getting old, the bolt is UNDER the flat part of the mount that is why you cannot see it. It is a much shorter bolt and looks like it was added as an afterthought.

In the diagram that you refrencen you cannot see the other bolt that you have already removed

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.
Take a mirror and a flashlight and look under the flat part of the mount
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nope, no other bolt under the bracket.... in any case the bracket in question, which is mounted to the front of the engine continues to be bound by a bolt which passes through the large cast bracket to which the ac compressor mounts and extends through the compresssor mount into the mount i need to remove to get the old timing belt off and the new one on....to get to it the alternator needs to be removed or at lest moved out of the way and there doesnt seem to be a reasonable way of doing that....
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.
Ok well I am out of suggestions..... Sorry ,I will opt out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no worries George, i appreciate the effort...by way of information while i was waiting for feed back ( from you, Kia engineering, and a couple of Kia master techs, friends of a friend) I continued to work with getting the alternator loose and out of the way enough to expose a bolt behind the alternator which once removed allowed the bracket to come out...apparantly a production change that even Kia didnt include in their technical info to the dealers...i feel a tsb upcoming ...just forwarding this info off to you and the others from whom i sought assistance, perhaps someone else can be spared the experience of sorting this out....

thanks

jmb
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the insight

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
although the effort by the technicians responding was genuine, it did not turn out to be of assistance in resolving the problem, i have since sorted out the problem and forwarded back to the last tech the outcome...pls refund my deposit

jmb