BigBob
BigBob, Shop Manager/Technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

how to change a water pump on a 2002 mitsubishi galant

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,

You will have to remove the timing belt to do it, I have uploaded the procedure for you here and here, let me know if I can help further.

Good luck,

Bob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can u send me a better step by step image i cant see that one to good
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
graphic
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

REMOVAL SERVICE POINT
<> TIMING BELT REMOVAL

CAUTION: The crankshaft should always be turned in the forward direction only.
graphic
Turn the crankshaft in the forward direction (to the right) to align the camshaft sprocket timing marks.
graphic
  1. Loosen the tension pulley fixing bolt. CAUTION: If the timing belt is to be re-used, use chalk to mark (on its flat side) an arrow indicating the clockwise direction.
  2. Move the tension pulley to the water pump side, and then remove the timing belt.
INSTALLATION SERVICE POINTS
>>A<< AUTO-TENSIONER INSTALLATION
graphic
  1. Apply 98 - 196 N (22 - 44 pound ) force to the pushrod of the auto-tensioner by pressing it against a metal object (such as the engine block) and measure the movement of the pushrod. Standard value: Within 1 mm (0.04 inch) A: Length when it is free (not pressed) B: Length when it is pressed A - B: Movement
  2. If it is outside the standard value, replace the auto-tensioner. CAUTION: Never compress the pushrod too fast, or it may be damaged.
graphic
Use a press or vise to gently compress the auto-tensioner pushrod until pin hole A of the pushrod and pin hole B of the tensioner cylinder are aligned.
graphic
  1. When the holes are aligned, insert the set pin. NOTE: When replacing the aut0-tensioner with a new part, the pin will be in the auto-tensioner.
  2. Install the auto-tensioner to the engine. >>B<< TIMING BELT INSTALLATION
graphic
graphic
graphic
Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket, crankshaft sprocket and oil pump sprocket.
graphic
  1. After aligning the timing mark on the oil pump sprocket, remove the cylinder block plug and insert a Phillips) head 8 mm (0.3 inch) screwdriver. Check to be sure that the screwdriver goes in 60 mm (2.4 inches) or more . If the screwdriver will only go in 20 - 25 mm (0.8 - 1.0 inch) before striking the counterbalance shaft, turn the sprocket once, realign the timing marks and check that the screwdriver goes in 60 mm (2.4 inches ) or more. The screwdriver should not be taken out until the timing belt is installed. CAUTION: If the timing belt is re-used, install so that the arrow marked on it at time of removal is pointing in the clockwise direction.
  2. Install the belt to the crankshaft sprocket, oil pump sprocket and camshaft sprocket in that order, so that there is no slackness in the belt tension.
graphic
  1. Set the tension pulley so that the pin holes are at the bottom, press the tension pulley lightly against the timing belt, and then provisionally tighten the fixing bolt.
  2. Adjust the timing belt tension. >>C<< TIMING BELT TENSION ADJUSTMENT CAUTION: DO not use a spanner or the similar tool to turn special tool MD998738. Otherwise, the auto-tensioner set pin may be broken. Turn special tool MD998738 by hand only.
graphic
  1. Remove the rubber plug from the rear of the timing belt cover assembly. Then screw in special tool MD998738 by hand until the tensioner arm is touching the auto-tensioner pushrod.
  2. After turning the crankshaft 1/4 of a revolution in the counterclockwise direction, turn it in the clockwise direction until the timing marks are aligned. CAUTION: When tightening the fixing bolt, make sure that the tension pulley does not turn with the bolt.
graphic
  1. Loosen the tension pulley taxing bolt, and then use special tool MD998767 and a torque wrench to tighten the fixing bolt to the specified torque while applying tension to the timing belt. Timing belt tension torque: 3.5 Nm (31 inch lbs.) Tightening torque: 48 Nm (35 ft. lbs.)
  2. Remove the set pin that has been inserted into the auto-tensioner, and then remove special tool MD998767.
graphic
  1. Turn the crankshaft two revolutions clockwise so that the timing marks are aligned. After leaving it for 15 minutes , measure the amount of protrusion of the auto-tensioner. Standard value (A): 3.8 - 4.5 mm (0.15 - 0.18 inch)
  2. If the amount of protrusion is outside the standard value, repeat steps (1) through (5).
  3. Check again to be sure that the timing marks of each sprocket are aligned.
graphic
graphic
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

INSTALLATION SERVICE POINTS
>>A<< O-RING INSTALLATION

CAUTION:
  • Care must be taken not to permit engine oil or other grease to adhere to the O-ring.
  • When inserting the pipe, check to be sure that there is no sand, dirt, etc. on its inner surface.
  • Rinse the mounting location of O-ring and water pipe with water, and install the O-ring and water pipe
graphic

Bob

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i want to take the water pump off not th timing belt how u get it off
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
You have to remove the timing belt tensioner pulley to replace the water pump according to the instructions, the water pump removal procedure is at the end of my post.

Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the procedures tell u how to install not remove
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
graphic

Let me know if i can help further
Bob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what about the black covering do i need it because during the process of removing the water pump i cracked several pieces
Expert:  BigBob replied 4 years ago.
If it is broken that bad where it will rub or fall into the belts, then yes you will need to replace the timing belt covers.

Bob