Kat
Kat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  21 years automotive experience and 8 1/2 years NISSAN factory trained technician
456519

1997 mazda 626 lx: jump start..start my..electrical system..removing

Customer Question

I tried to jump start my sons 1997 mazda 626 lx but
reversed the polarity - now the electrical system is dead
Where do I start? I tried removing the main fuse but with no luck...
Category: Car
Expert:  Kat replied 5 years ago.
Below is a picture of the main fuse and the box. The main fuse is bolted in from the bottom. graphic
Expert:  Kat replied 5 years ago.
Start with the main fuse and if it is ok let me know and we will go from there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok - i will try - I should have asked - what damage did I likely do as a result

of a jump with polarity reversed...

Is there anyway to check the fuse without removing it?

Expert:  Kat replied 5 years ago.
Depends on if the main fuse actually burned out like it should have or not. You could have caused some severe electrical issues but keep a positive attitude and hope that it blew the main fuse out. We will get into it deeper if we have to but for now check that fuse.
Kat, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 21 years automotive experience and 8 1/2 years NISSAN factory trained technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Kat - OK - the main fuse DID protect the electrical system - however the main fuse is bolted in (2 bolts and from the bottom) so I had the local shop install the new fuse. They charged me $68 which seems a little steep but then stupidity costs! Thanks for the help. aftermathe

Expert:  Kat replied 5 years ago.
Basically they charged an hour labor. Just be glad that it was only the fuse. If you need any help in the future just put my name in the heading of the question and I will assist you.