Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

2003 toyota avalon: smoothly..rough manner while accelerating

After having a new starter installed in my 2003 toyota avalon, the transmission which was shifting smoothly before the repair started shifting in a rough manner while accelerating. What could cause this, and could this somehow be related to the work done on the new starter?
Category: Car
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 4 years ago.

Have inspected the work performed by the shop?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the shop looked at it and said there was nothing wrong with the installation. The transmission problem according to the shop could be due to the fact that the battery was disconnected and it may have messed up the electronics in the auto transmission. Could this be correct??

Disconnecting the battery will erase the computers "memory" and it's learned values but I find it hard to relate to the issue at hand. How bad is the transmission shifting?

Is it just noticeable or are you afraid to drive it

How does the transmission fluid look? Has it been serviced regularly?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
transmission fluid was changed a few months ago. as for the shifting, before I could barely feel the shift, now it feels like a minor jolt. It is probably not something of immediate concern but it is different. Not something I would like to live with, especially if all that is required is a minor adjustment

I think the only thing that may be needed is to drive it some more. These newer Toyota's have 'learned memory' and adapt to customers driving habits. These values may not have had enough time to relearn. I don't think anything major has happened but would keep an eye and ear out just to be sure. I checked with Toyota T.I.S. and there are no known issues with this particular transmission concern.

Thanks, Genchi

Please feel free to ask more of me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is what the shop owner told me. Should I drive it harder? Accerlerate harder or dirve it easier? It is more of an annoying problem than anything else. I haven't experienced this before. Is it possible to have some kind of adjustment made if the problem doesn't go away on it's own?

I would advise you to drive it as you would normally. When these adaptable transmissions first came out, many customers would complain. The harder you drive, the harsher the shifting will be based on that style of driving. The softer the driving, the softer and less power the vehicle will exhibit.

The problem should go away on it's own and unfortunantly there are no adjustments that can be made on these transmisssions.

Thanks, Genchi

Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience: Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine