Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi

peugeot 306 fuel pump locking ring doesnt seem to fit... Are

I have just bought a peugeot 306 W reg 2000 2.0 HDI and the previous owner had fitted a new fuel pump.

I had a problem with a fuel leak and was advised to check the seal on the pump which meant removing the pump. Tried to refit the locking ring but it doesnt seem to fit... Are there more that one thread type?

It just seems TOO small, only slightly though

Is there a "special" way of refitting it?

If there is more than one type do you know the peugeot part number
Category: Car
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
This is a common concern when removing these style pumps.
The thread is likely correct, but there are two things that add to the difficulty in installing the ring. First, as you noticed, the pump modules are spring loaded, adding tension against the lockring, adding difficulty. In addition to this, if you are working with a plastic fuel tank and do not reinstall the ring immediately after removing the pump, the tank will distort on a warm day ever so slightly, making installation difficult as well.

You can verify the thread is correct by removing the pump and installing just the ring. It should be significantly easier to get it threaded, verifying it does in fact fit.

If your tank uses the (approx) 3/4 inch tall U channel gasket at the top of the pump module, try installing the gasket to the tank first, then sliding the pump into it, rather than installing the gasket on the pump. This will also make life easier if you have the U channel style gasket (and not O-ring style).

Lastly, during install, if possible find someone to help hold firm pressure on the pump module for you, then spin the ring counterclockwise 1/8 turn then forward to make it catch. If it does not, turn it further counterclockwise then forward, so you are attempting to start at a different point on the lip.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tried the spinning counter clockwise it just doesn't catch. If i press on the ring it does catch with a bit of pressure but then when it does screw on its uneven and doesn't seem to be catching along one edge.

Mine is the U channel gasket and I did what you suggested, Its as if the thread doesn't have a start on the the tank as its not actually catching on the tank unless its pushed on and thats causing cross threading..

There is an arrow on the locking ring but which way should it point and at what?
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
If you take the pump module out and attempt to install the ring without the pump?
The ring should be standard screw-on style threading.

Regarding the arrow, is it pointing inward or outward? Sometimes there will be a paintmark on the (original) pump module to align an inward arrow with. I don't believe it is used that often anymore as the first time you take the pump out, the paintmark usually washes away. Also the screw-type design does not require a particular location in any event. I have not come across one like that in a few years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't fancy removing the pump again, it was full of fuel and removing it was very messy!

The pump itself has a green bit of plastic (looks riveted) to the top with 2 green arrows, I don;t know what they indicate though.

Would going over a bump in the road cause the lockring to come slightly off causing a major diesel leak with 1/2 a tank £25 of fuel in the tank
Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
I can understand not wanting to take it out again, the point was just to show that it will thread on with less effort that way. Afterall, it was installed initially.

I'm not sure what you are describing riveted to the top, but there is typically two arrows indicating flow direction at the fuel ports on the module.

Once the ring is installed, it will not come off by accident. It will turn usually two full turns and with great effort to go on or off. If your ring was loose when you removed it, perhaps you do in fact have the wrong ring there, although I would question how it got there in the first place!
Hitting a bump should by no means cause any type of spill from anywhere, including the pump module/ring.
It is possible, being a new-to-you car, that the pump was replaced prior to sale and the ring was too difficult for the previous owner/technician to install correctly as well, causing it to come loose from the bump you mentioned since it was not installed correctly.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 16 years automotive and OTR repair including specialized training from Toyota and Mitsubishi
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The car went into the garage today and neither a new ring or the old wing would fit.

It would appear that the bottom part of the ring edge was catching on the lower thread on the tank pushing it upwards when they were trying to screw it downwards.

The garage ground about 1mm off the bottom of the ring and it screwed on perfectly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
That is very interesting. The tanks do sometimes warp a bit causing issues, haven't heard of anything like that though!
Thanks for the followup info!