Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

1994 Mazda 626: loses 90% power and then quits..old cars

My 1994 Mazda 626 4 cylinder standard starts rigtht up and runs for up to a couple of weeks. Then it will suddenly act like it loses 90% power and then quits. If I start it back up it kind of turns over in a chugging fashion like some old cars would keep turning over for a bit after turning off the ignition. We've changed the distributor and the fuel pump.
Hi,how are you,from what you are describing it sounds like the crankshaft position sensor is failing.The crankshaft position sensor reads the rotation of the crankshaft which the computer translates to determine engine timing sequences. The computer uses this reading, in conjunction with the camshaft position sensor, to determine proper fuel injection and ignition timing.1.Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2.Remove the necessary accessory drive belts to access the sensor3.If necessary, remove the engine oil dipstick tube.
4.Remove the sensor attaching bolt, then withdraw the sensor from the engine.
5.Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is this something in which the car will start right up the next morning and run flawlessly for several more days before stopping again?

I have seen the crank sensors do this,yes.Is the check engine light coming on at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes...It comes on about 10 minutes or so after the car starts and you're driving down the road.
Yes,i am leaning towards the crankshaft sensor being your problem,but on the safe side autozone can read the code for free,from your check engine light.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok...that's great...I appreciate your resonse. I'm going to go with that. Do you have a ball park idea of how much it will cost to change out that sensor? I don't need a quote...just a $100-$200 or $300-$600 or something like that.
They are generally between $60.00 and $100.Thank you.