jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

1990 oldsmobile cutlass ciera stalls in park at idle, when

Customer Question

1990 oldsmobile cutlass ciera stalls in park at idle, when shifting to gear without pushing gas, lunges forward on its own in drive, and will speed up on its own while driving down the road.
Category: Car
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 7 years ago.
hi,are you getting any check engine light code or a check engine light ..guy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i get the check engine light and i dont know if any other cause half the bulbs are missing or burnt out and they dont make some of those anymore. we just tried driving it home from a friends and it made it half way then it would start and die before i could get it in gear, and every time i would push the gas it would die again
hello again, can you get the codes read and see what they are?It would help ......guy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

it wont make it to the auto store to have them read it now, and i dont have time to tinker with it due to work.. and my wife knows nothing about cars, you got any ideas what it could be?

well it could be a vacuum leak,either hoses.or intake,the iac could be dirty or the mass airflow sensor could be dirty..guy
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i put some fuel injector cleaner in the take and some octane booster and drove it up to the gas station, started back up and ran for 2 min.s after putting gas in it then it stalled out again and wouldnt run for longer than 15 seconds, after it would shut itself off again there was a hissing noise that lasted about a second.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
also there is a little black box on top of the manifold that connects to 4 lines and one of them is busted, and i dont know that name of the part.. do you?
where on top of the motor,near the throttle body ,it a vacuum connection block ,that would be a good place to start ,seeing as the lines and hoses go to the pcv valve,trans,fuel pressure regulator,hvac,brake booster etc,yes replace any vacuumhose that look bad or brittle and tell me what you got ...guy:
Vacuum And Vapor Hose Diagram

Edited by GUY V.I. on 10/4/2009 at 4:03 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
replaced vacuum connections, engine starts for a second and still shuts off. when i can get it running for more than a second i gotta rev it and as soon as i take my foot off the gas it dies again
ok, it would be good to have the codes but for now you can spray the throttle body out with carb cleaner and also the iac sensor that is mounted on the throttle body ,you will get a better cleaning if you remove it first,you might have to replace the gasket between the throttle body and the mass air flow senser(maf),reinstall the throttle body and start it up ,if it still acts the same then you need to get the code read out (free) at the parts store. this will help to pinpoint the problem ...guy
MPFI Throttle Body