Techman
Techman, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Universal technical institute grad, 5 years experience on most high end cars, master ASE and BMW cer

2002 mitsubishi eclipse: slow..start fine..wouldnt start..starter

I have a 2002 mitsubishi eclipse. for a few weeks I noticed that sometimes the engine would be slow to turn over when i started it... almost like it was low on power, but it would start fine. Then last week, it wouldn't start at all, and it felt like the battery was almost dead and the starter would just barely click a couple of times. When I got a jump, it started right away. When I got home, I charged the battery for a few hours and tried to start it, this time the battery felt full and the starter was going making the starting the engine sound like it was trying to turn over with full power, but the engine would just not go on. I tried a different car battery (although it was a little under voltage for my car) but it was the same thing... any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Techman replied 4 years ago.
Hi, will it start with the different battery installed, and a jump start? It sounds like you just need the correct sized new battery.
Also make sure the terminals on the battery posts are tight.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, thanks for the reply. So, i went and bought a new battery and replaced it, just in case it was the problem. After i installed it the car started right up with no problem. This morning though, it was back to how it was.. where the car was cranking over and over, but it just wounldn't turn over.
Expert:  Techman replied 4 years ago.
Ok, if the battery was dead after sitting overnight, then there is an item in the car staying on when the key is off. First check for the obvious, radar decectors, anything plugged into the cigarette lighter.
After that, then you'll need perform battery draw testing.
There are few methods for this.
Using a DC amp clamp over the negative battery terminal, latch the doors, and close all windows. Then check for current flowing through the negative battery cable. If there is more than about .060amps, then you'll need to remove fused 1 at a time until the draw goes away.

You can also use a common test light in between the negative battery post, and the negative cable. If there is a draw, the light will stay on, once the draw is gone, the test light will go out.

You can also use an amp meter function built into a digital meter. Hooked up the same as the test light would be.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im sorry, I might have not been clear in my response. The new battery was fine this morning... just the car went back to where it wouldnt turn over, it would just crank. But yesturday, when i first installed the battery it worked fine. (possible note: it seems that the car will turn over if it has been sitting for a while without use).
Expert:  Techman replied 4 years ago.
Ah, it appears I misunderstood.
This could be a failing fuel pump. Are you able to check fuel pressure when the engine will not fire up? There should be a fuel pressure test port on top of the engine, on the fuel rail.
Techman, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Universal technical institute grad, 5 years experience on most high end cars, master ASE and BMW cer