Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

1992 olds cutlass: idler belt tensioner..reverse threads..vibrate

Wally or ?

I am changing the pulley called the idler belt tensioner.on a 1992 olds cutlass ceria s. the drive belt , alt, waterpump go clockwise, well the the only pulley that goes counter clockwise is the one I am changing, so Im thinking it has reverse threads so it dont vibrate loose and fall off., I am not sure. My question is to break the bolt loose, which way do I turn this particular single bolt, left or right?, please respond.

Gary C

Hello, is the pulley you are doing the one on the left side of the pic below?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I need you to send me an email adress so I can use a method real simple to send you a picturs I took, one question only , which way do I turn the bolt to loosen it.

forget the email, your picture is good. yes it is the belt tensioner pulley in your picture which is turning counter clockwise, while all the other pulleys turn clockwise. one question is which way do I turn the bolt to lossen this pulley?

The pulley is a regular right hand thread. The bolt only tightens down a small bearing and the pulley free spins on it. Rotation does not come into play. You are 100% to turn the bolt counter clockwise to loosen