jeffrey590
jeffrey590, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician , Saab Master Technician w/ 35 years Dealer Experience in Advanced Level Diag.
11029438

1999 SAAB: turbo..Engine turns..resistance (compression)..Timing belt

Customer Question

This is a 1999 SAAB 9-5 Turbo (v6). Engine turns as if it had no resistance (compression) and just whined without trying to start. I immediately thought Timing belt but taking off the side cover.. the belt is there, as it has been for the 30k miles or so since it was replaced. everything is turning. I removed (at home) the ignition cartridge and placed sparkplugs in it... All 3 fired. I removed the hoses going to the Fuel rail (actually at fuel regulator) and fuel pumped vigorously when ignition switched to 'on'. Not knowing SAABs, I am not sure where else to go as there is spark and fuel. Will be checking injectors next. but all fuses and relays are good and have switched them around to see if that helps. What am I missing?
Category: Car
Expert:  jeffrey590 replied 7 years ago.
Greetings bill miranda, You need to check the cam TIMING...even though the belt is on and everything is turning, it may have jumped time...There was an update several years ago to change the idler pulley assy on this vehicle to eliminate the chance of belt jumping time...you need to remove the plastic belt cover, set engine up on TDC and check all your cam marks to make sure they are aligned...jeffrey590
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just wish there were knowledgeable SAAB techs near me in Northern Virginia. Thanks.

Try International Motors in Falls Church....They have an excellent service dept...jeffrey590