Car expert
Car expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN,30 YRS EXPERIENCE
22989858

2005 mazda: with a 6speed sport auto transmission..5th speed..slipping

I have a 2005 Mazda6 with a 6speed sport auto transmission. When the car warms up the transmission will not drop from 6th to 5th speed when I slow and causes a slipping of the transmission when I try to speed up -- causing a racing of the engine and no engagement of the transmission. I have taken it back to the dealer and they could find nothing wrong. Any suggestions and thank you.
Gary
which engine is this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

3.0L DOHC 24-Valve VVT V6 Engine --

i have found a service bulletin that is very close to your trouble , i would ask the deeler if they would perform this service for you,

Subject:

TRANSAXLE SLIPPAGE - DTCs P0734 / P0735 OR P0729 MAY BE PRESENT

Bulletin No: 05-016/06

Last Issued: 12/20/2006

Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations

Irvine, CANNN-NN-NNNN/p>

2005 - 2006 MAZDA6 3.0L - TRANSAXLE SLIPPAGE - DTCs P0734 / P0735 OR P0729 MAY BE PRESENT

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2005 - 2006 Mazda6 3.0L vehicles produced before Feb. 24, 2006 equipped with a 6-Speed (AW6A-EL) Automatic

Transaxle

DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles may experience transaxle slippage in the following manner:

• Slippage (engine run up) or shock when depressing the accelerator fully (kick-down) from steady driving in

4th, 5th, or 6th gear.

• Slippage (engine run up) or shock when accelerating and shifting up to 4th, 5th, or 6th gear.

NOTE:

- After slippage occurs, DTCs P0734, P0735, or P0729 related to gear errors may be stored in memory

as the transaxle is fixed in 5th gear emergency mode.

- The symptom normally appears when the ATF is at normal operating temperature.

Due to excessive wear of the valve guide hole on the solenoid modulator valve No.2 (which controls C2 clutch

pressure), the C2 clutch pressure becomes too low. The length of modulator valve guide has been extended at

mass-production.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.

- If slippage (engine run up) or shock occurs when depressing the accelerator fully (kick-down) from steady

driving in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear, proceed to Step 2.

- If slippage (engine run up) or shock occurs when accelerating and shifting up to 4th, 5th, or 6th gear, proceed

to Step 2.

- If other symptoms are found, refer to the Workshop Manual (section 05-02) for further troubleshooting.

2. Inspect ATF condition.

- If ATF does not smell burnt, and there are no (small or large) metal specks found in the ATF, proceed to

Step 3.

- If ATF does smell burnt, and there are (small or large) metal specks found in the ATF, proceed to Step 4.

3. Replace Control Valve Body according to Workshop Manual (section 05-17 CONTROL VALVE BODY

REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [AW6A-EL]).

NOTE: It is not necessary to drain the engine coolant, disconnect the lower radiator hose, or remove the

front crossmember during control valve body replacement.

4. Replace automatic transaxle according to Workshop Manual (section 05-17 AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE

REMOVAL/INSTALLATION [AW6A-EL]).

5. Verify repair.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you -- sounds like my issue - out of curiosity is this a costly option?
i don't know it didn't say but honestly it looks expensive sorry