Ask a Car Mechanic and Get Answers to Your Car Questions ASAP
3.0L DOHC 24-Valve VVT V6 Engine --
i have found a service bulletin that is very close to your trouble , i would ask the deeler if they would perform this service for you,
TRANSAXLE SLIPPAGE - DTCs P0734 / P0735 OR P0729 MAY BE PRESENT
Bulletin No: 05-016/06
Last Issued: 12/20/2006
Service Bulletin Mazda North American Operations
2005 - 2006 MAZDA6 3.0L - TRANSAXLE SLIPPAGE - DTCs P0734 / P0735 OR P0729 MAY BE PRESENT
2005 - 2006 Mazda6 3.0L vehicles produced before Feb. 24, 2006 equipped with a 6-Speed (AW6A-EL) Automatic
Some vehicles may experience transaxle slippage in the following manner:
4th, 5th, or 6th gear.
- After slippage occurs, DTCs P0734, P0735, or P0729 related to gear errors may be stored in memory
as the transaxle is fixed in 5th gear emergency mode.
- The symptom normally appears when the ATF is at normal operating temperature.
Due to excessive wear of the valve guide hole on the solenoid modulator valve No.2 (which controls C2 clutch
pressure), the C2 clutch pressure becomes too low. The length of modulator valve guide has been extended at
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
1. Verify customer concern.
- If slippage (engine run up) or shock occurs when depressing the accelerator fully (kick-down) from steady
driving in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear, proceed to Step 2.
- If slippage (engine run up) or shock occurs when accelerating and shifting up to 4th, 5th, or 6th gear, proceed
to Step 2.
- If other symptoms are found, refer to the Workshop Manual (section 05-02) for further troubleshooting.
2. Inspect ATF condition.
- If ATF does not smell burnt, and there are no (small or large) metal specks found in the ATF, proceed to
- If ATF does smell burnt, and there are (small or large) metal specks found in the ATF, proceed to Step 4.
3. Replace Control Valve Body according to Workshop Manual (section 05-17 CONTROL VALVE BODY
NOTE: It is not necessary to drain the engine coolant, disconnect the lower radiator hose, or remove the
front crossmember during control valve body replacement.
4. Replace automatic transaxle according to Workshop Manual (section 05-17 AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE
5. Verify repair.