jagmaster
jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years Jaguar Master, Land Rover Master, Aston Martin certified

Hi i have a 1999 range rove 2.

hi i have a 1999 range rove 2.5 dse auto when the car is slowing down the gearbox clunks as it reaches the lower gears what can cause this
Category: Car
Expert:  jagmaster replied 4 years ago.

The most likely thing for your vehicle is actually the transfer case drive chain, they stretch out and cause a clunk sound. They are really expensive to fix, so you should plan on a new transfer box assembly. It would probably be worth the money to have a Land Rover mechanic put it on a rack to verify.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi the noise only happens when the gearbox is slowing right down it is smooth when changeing up with no noise or clunks ,when you slow down the sound happens just befor the car stops
Expert:  jagmaster replied 4 years ago.
Lets try something. First thing put the car in neutral. Shift from high range to low range. Does it make any slap or clunking noises? If not, put your foot on the brake, and make sure the hand brake is off. Put the car in drive, than reverse. Do that a couple of times. Do you get any kind of popping or knocking sounds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there is a slight clunking noise only when you goe from drive to reverse only no noise from high to low
Expert:  jagmaster replied 4 years ago.
This is going to be hard to diagnose online. I apologize for that. From what youv'e said, I think it's one of two things. It can be that you have a worn u-joint that is popping as the load comes off the drivetrain. It could also be that the axle flanges have worn, and are popping as tension is released. I suspect you'll find one of those two things. You will probably need a technician to put it in the air, and run it to pinpoint the exact area. Sorry I don't have any better information. I hope it helps though
jagmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 years Jaguar Master, Land Rover Master, Aston Martin certified