Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a 2000 Cadillac Eldorado the engine dies now and then

I have a 2000 Cadillac Eldorado the engine dies now and then when warming up. The only code that shows up now and then is the crankshaft sensor. I thought that is only had one which is located below the oil dip stick in front of the car. But the parts store said it had 2 one upper one lower? If it does where are they at and how do you tell which one is putting out the error code.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

HI,

P0335....Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit

P0336....Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

P0337....Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input

P0338....Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit High Input

P0339....Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent

P0385....Crankshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit

P0386....Crankshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Range/Performance

P0387....Crankshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Low Input

P0388....Crankshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit High Input

P0389....Crankshaft Position Sensor 'B' Circuit Intermittent

graphic

Fig. Showing engine side locations of the CKP sensors, EOP switch, and oil level switch: 1. Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) Sensor B; 2. Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) Sensor A; 3. Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch; 4. Engine Oil Level Switch

After replacing the Crank sensor(s), a relearn procedure MUST be done with a diagnostic scanner:

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the air deflector.
  3. Remove the oil filter adaptor.
  4. Disconnect the crankshaft position sensor electrical connector.
  5. Remove the crankshaft sensor retaining bolt.
  6. Remove the crankshaft sensor.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing CKP Sensors

To install:

NOTE Inspect the crankshaft sensor O-ring for wear or damage. If a problem is found, replace the O-ring.

1. Lubricate the crankshaft sensor O-ring with clean engine oil.
    NOTE Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  2. Install the crankshaft sensor and the retaining bolt. Tighten the retaining bolt between 10 Nm (89 inch lbs.).
  3. Connect the crankshaft position sensor electrical connector.
  4. Install the oil filter adaptor.
  5. Install the air deflector.
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  7. Operate the engine and inspect crankshaft sensor for engine oil leaks.
  8. Perform the CKP System Variation Learn Procedure.

• With a scan tool, select the crankshaft position variation learn procedure.
  • Observe the fuel cut-off for the engine that you are performing the learn procedure on.
  • The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
  • Block the drive wheels.
  • Apply the vehicles parking brake.
  • Cycle the ignition from OFF to ON.
  • Apply and hold the brake pedal.
  • Start and idle the engine (with A/C OFF).
  • Place the vehicle's transmission in Park (A/T) or Neutral (M/T).
  • The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:

Crankshaft position (CKP) sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set. Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set. Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the engine coolant temperature is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.
  • With the scan tool, enable the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure.
    NOTE While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.
  • Slowly increase the engine speed to the RPM that you observed.
  • Immediately release the throttle when fuel cut-off is reached.
  • The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool does NOT display this message and no additional DTCs set, refer to Symptom Diagnosis (No Codes) section . If a DTC set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List for the applicable DTC that set.
  • Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
  • Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor